McKinley Elementary was named after the 25th President of the United States, William McKinley. To learn more about our school’s namesake, you can click here to visit Biography.com. Information about McKinley can also be found on the WhiteHouse.gov web site.

McKinley Elementary was first constructed in 1902. An addition in 1927 included the gym, auditorium and office spaces.

Students in the McKinley attendance area attended Washington School until the present building was built in 1904. McKinley School and Greenwood School were built in the early 1900’s according to the school philosophy of their day. The reasoning was a grammar school has 8 grades and so it has 8 rooms. A building was designed with grades l-4 on the first floor and has 5-8 on the second floor. Kindergarten was usually housed in a separate structure. The board of education honored the memory of William McKinley, 25th President of the United States, by naming the building for him.

Principals of McKinley over the years have been:

  • 1907-1912 Laura Matthews
  • 1912-1938 Alice Bradshaw
  • 1938-1946 Edna Peterson
  • 1946-1952 Florence Weisbrod
  • 1952-1955 Kenneth Rankin
  • 1955-1957 Lorraine Reed
  • 1957-1963 Nelle Cunningham
  • 1963-1965 Patience Guthrie
  • 1965-1967 Kenneth Rankin
  • 1967-1972 Snowden Moon
  • 1972-1978 Dr. Patrick Moran
  • 1978-1980 Helen Oliver
  • 1980-1989 Wilber Coleman
  • 1989-1992 Dominic Bonanno
  • 1992-2010 Dr. Lorenzo Jasso
  • 2010-2013 Sherry L. Amos
  • 2013-       Lois A. Brass